Wednesday, January 12

We Can Rebuild...


It's a little ironic.


I was thinking of the title and thought how apt it was considering all the devastation that's going on in Qld. Humans are survivors and a resourceful bunch when we're put to the test.

However, when talking about rebuilding, I was also thinking about my physical self. Unlike the Bionic Woman though, my body parts are all my own (so far).

I think as women, we are definitely a resilient lot. I know for certain, that I, like many other women have our share of health and fitness challenges, especially when reaching the age of 40+. Most of the women I know carry some type of pain or health challenge...hip injuries, shoulder injuries, back injuries, adrenal problems, fibromyalgia, hormonal and muscular imbalances, etc, etc. I don't think I know of one woman who doesn't have some time of health challenge. But you know, we keep soldiering on and keep putting on a happy face. We keep overcoming and excelling, in spite of our challenges and imperfections.

Why was I thinking about this?

I was reflecting on where I was two and half years ago. If I could have looked forward in time back then in 2008, I wouldn't have believed that I could be where I am today in 2011. I liken my journey to something resembling a 'renovation' of soughts.

Firstly, I had to strip away alot of the surface debris...the physical stuff. Along with that I also had some emotional debris to come to terms with, mostly from my past. I made great progress. Life was great. I set down what I thought were great foundations. And I rebuilt my life...my physical and emotional self.

What I didn't realise was that those foundations weren't as strong as I thought. I mean, I'd come a long way. When I started in 2008, I had hip problems, mainly in the form of bursitis, which dogged me for some time. Along with that I had (and still have) pretty decent muscular imbalances, favouring the RHS of the body; weak glutes; lower back/disc related problems stemming from a back injury sustained in 2000. And on top of that, I was about 15kgs overweight and had no energy. It was some time before I could even jog on a treadmill. It had been five or more years since I'd run. And I started my Ideal Bodies Online program with a pre-weights program to ease my body into using weights again.

So began the process of rebuilding in 2008. That's where it all started. I rallied around me my support team...IBO; my physio; chiropractor; bowen therapist; masseuse. I used all of them to help rebuild my body. I found out what the problems were, and I set about systematically overcoming all of these things. I applied myself - I trained 110% - I did my exercises religiously - I asked questions - I tuned into my body and I started to heal.

And I was rewarded for my efforts...a new lease on life!

In 2010 I hit a plateau when I found newly discovered chronic injuries (RHS hip degeneration & bone spur). I was devastated. The injury hit me real hard, not just physically, but mentally. I was dogged by self-doubt for alot of the year. I put on weight again, and was back feeling horrible, and wondering how I got back to that place. I mean, in hindsight, it wasn't actually back there - back to 2008. I was definitely not the same person, but I'd felt my foundations had crumbled a little. I lost focus and a little of that sparkle.

So I had to do alot of reflecting to work out where I needed to go. I didn't want to go back. The only solution was to move forward. However, I knew that in order to move forward I had to go back to the basics again. I had to rebuild (again), but this time I needed to address issues that I hadn't addressed, which had me going backwards physically. And...I needed a bit of an ego check.

Half way through 2010, I began to rebuild. I added another support team member to my rebuilding team...my exercise physiologist. Someone who, in her words, could take me from 'physio back to performance'.

In a period of around six months, I have gone from going backwards physically to being at my best physically, fitness-wise and structurally since when I originally injured my back.

I'm running now regularly, 2-3 times per week on the treadmill without hip stiffness or pain. It doesn't seem like a huge thing, but what that tells me is that I've strengthened the muscles around my hip and pelvis sufficiently, not to have any residual pain or tension. My chiropractor is ecstatic at how much more stable my pelvis has become, and often comments at the remarkable change he's seen, and how as a result, how much stronger my back is, since my orginal injury. My RHS glute no longer grinds continually with the weakness it had. No more rolling around in pain on a baseball, trying to alievate the aching in my glutes, since I've learned to activate my glutes instead of my hip flexors.

I've doubled the amount of weight I'm lifting in my deadlifts since starting, and I'm now squatting the most I've ever done before...and I'm still very much a beginner at this stuff. And all with good form and technique.

The muscles in my traps, shoulders and back are no longer tied in huge knots and full of constant tension, since I've been learning how to activate the correct muscles (my lower traps instead of my upper traps).

As of today, I'm back under 60kgs! Woohoo! I'm about two and bit kilos off my goal weight, and determined to get back to a lean 57kgs.

So to those who are dogged by setbacks and problems, I urge you to keep persisting. It doesn't happen overnight, and you'll hit a snag every now and again. But just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep looking to the next step.

Now, I haven't overcome all this stuff yet. I'm still doing alot rehab, and I'm always hopeful that I will completely overcome. But, I'm getting stronger...I'm getting fitter. I still experience annoying niggles and little pains, but I accept that as part of making progress. I'll keep chipping away, and keep working on the next thing on my list to eliminate or to build.

So take heart, because WE CAN REBUILD!

5 comments:

Charlotte Orr said...

Nice work Kerry!

Judes said...

Firstly - I was thinking of you last night, hoping your family was safe and sound. I was really happy to see this post, before I'd even read it!

I've been really proud of how you've kept going through it all. It's very inspirational - well done on your progress through rehab and all of those other pesky challenges.

Cheers to resilience!

Kek said...

Fantastic work, Kerry! It's gratifying to be able to see progress, and to realise that the setbacks are all part of the bigger picture. :)

Sandra said...

Great post, Kerry, and so true about us all...nice to hear you're in such a great place.
Hope you and your loved ones are all well and keeping safe up North.

Here's to the next two and a bit kgs!

Kerry W said...

Thanks Charlotte. :)

Yep...all safe and sound Judy. We're fine here on the southside of Brisbane. All high and dry and very fortunate indeed. Thanks also for the your support and encouragement. It's always appreciated. And yes, bottoms up to resilience! :P

Couldn't have said it better myself Kek...setbacks are just a part of it aren't they, and without them, the achievements wouldn't be so gratifying.

Hey Sandra. It's good to be here (in a good place). :) Yes, we are all safe and well, thank you. And that 2 and bit kgs' I think is going to be much harder to move than I thought.

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo