Monday, October 26

Back to Rehabilitation Mode


Last night I was in bed at 7:45pm. It was my first army weekend back, since Kapooka. To say that I was shagged was an understatement. I haven't done any formal exercise since coming back. My physio, as I've said earlier in the week has given me strict instructions not to run, and that I should ease back into exercise over the next 2-4 weeks, before resuming the level of exercise I was at 6 or so weeks ago.

Little did I know that while I've been away, we've had a temporary officer doing our PT sessions. So we've had PT every time we've paraded (worked), which is great! Saturday morning we did a circuit and I was so sore on Sunday with some serious quad DOMS. I didn't do the running part of the circuit, but we did lunges, push presses, lat something-or-other, tricep dips, step-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, weighted punches, ab twists with medicine ball, and tyre lifts/squats. I was stuffed afterwards, but felt great that I finally did some serious exercise.

Anyway...we rocked up for another morning PT session on Sunday, before starting our normal army stuff. On the agenda...touch football and soccer, after a slow jog (for me) to warm up. I did say NO RUNNING, but somehow during the course of the morning I had to run. I was quite enjoying it all. My mucles was very sore and still tight-as, but I managed to get through it all without any niggles. That was until our slow jog back to our unit...felt a sharp pain course through my groin and I had to drop to the side and walk the rest of the way back to the unit...F*&K! So the rest of the day was a real struggle, because if I walked too fast or tried to lift anything I'd get this damned sharp pain up through the groin into the base, and up through my pelvic muscles. So I'll be ringing my physio this morning. He will not be very happy! I know exactly was he's going to say...too much too soon...arghhhh...de ja vu!

So yesterday we finished work early and AW picked me up to go to a 3yr old birthday party. I managed to get through it okay and felt fine, though very tired. However...I was so sore and stiff, it was a struggle walking up the hill to the front door of the birthday party...lol..We got home about 6pm and I just flopped onto the recliner, and that's where I remained until I got up to go to bed at 7:45pm, because I'd fallen asleep.

So I woke up this morning to find Miss Phil in bed, and I was very sore and sorry indeed! It even hurts to bend over...ouch!

I'm not upset or angry, or even frustrated. I've been through this all before, but I know that this time, it won't take me long to get back on track and resume my fitness regime. Then, and only then, will I reset my goals for the new year. I anticipate I will be in basic rehabilitation and fitness mode until the end of the year, slowly building my fitness.

I realised I went too hard too soon, and I will have to opt out of PT altogether until my body is up to par. I can't do things in halves, so I might as well just say NO, rather than risk further injury. So it's back to the drawing board, and there won't be any martial arts or crossfit until I can eliminate the muscle imbalances and overcompensating responses. I will have to be very strict on the nutrition side and I think I will have to get in the pool and swim to get the heart rate up, until I can resume my normal exercise activities. I've put on weight and it's around the tummy, where it always goes first. Nothing major at this stage, but I'm feeling very soft and the warning bells are starting to go off, so I have to get things in order and get on top of these injuries quickly.

So there's no definite plans ATM, just concentrating on doing alot of stretching (after I know the diagnosis on my groin strain), physio isolation exercises, gentle walking and swimming. And it's our annual beach holiday in 4 weeks and I don't want to be flabby to get into my new monobikini (which I haven't bought yet). So from here it's head down and bum up!

5 comments:

Fifi said...

Well that totally sucks. But you are so in tune with your body now, aware of what has to be done and familiar with your training that I know you will get on top of it. You've had a MASSIVE year girl and you can take time to rest and heal a little xxx

Kerry W said...

Thanks Frankie. I think I'll be spending some time licking my wounds, so to speak. And I agree, the time spent healing will be well worth it. :)

Hope life in Frankie's world is steadily improving. :O) It's nice to have you back blogging a little.

Anonymous said...

I think we've all gone to hard to soon and suffered the consequences. You'd think we'd learn. LOL!! Like you I'm back at the starting point only with my shoulder. I'm not patient either so I'm using this time to learn how to be patient instead. By taking the time to rehabilitate we'll benefit from it in the long run but not having further prolonged or reoccurring injuries. Take it easy and don't forget that ice packs are your best friends. ;o) xxx

Nicole said...

Sounds like you have the perfect perspective on the situation my friend. Swimming is definitely a great option for you. And the weather is perfect for it, so make the most of it.

xx

Raechelle said...

I totally know how you feel...I'm pretty much an all or nothing gal with working out too...and if you can't give it your all it's very difficult to just "go slow and do a little"...wo you are probably wise to give the PT a miss for now. Swimming should be great though!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo