Thursday, February 2

What's your Favorite Daily Escape?



A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy. 

~Edward P. Morgan



I'm currently reading 'Rock the Casbah' by Robin Wright.   Robin Wright is a foreign correspondent and TV commentator who has covered the middle east for 40 years.   It's non-fiction and is about the undercurrent of change in the Middle East and how the people of the Islamic world are transforming the political landscape through simple, but powerful acts of rebellion with the help of technology.   Who said Facebook was negatively influencing society?  In this instant, it's inspiring the downtrodden and repressed to gain a public platform and a voice to be heard by the rest of the world, overthrowing corrupt and cruel politial regimes.  It's right up-to-date, and goes into the events of the removal of Egypt's president Hosni Mubarak and how it started on January 28th, 2011.  Powerful stuff!

I've also got 'Nicholas Nickleby' to read by Charles Dickens.  I've only ever read one of his novels, 'David Copperfield', and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  So I'm looking forward to starting that one.  I'll probably have a couple of books on the go at the same time.



Last night I enjoyed my favourite daily escape.  AW is away and Philomena was asleep.  It was quiet and peaceful.   I just had the soft glow of the lamp on and some classic music playing in the background.  I was in my comfy recliner with a cup of tea and a good book! 

I intend to make this a regular thing and I'm hoping I can convince AW to turn off the TV at night so we can all do some reading as a family.  Now that Philomena is beginning to read, I would like to make this something we do each night.  Anthony has been doing more reading lately too, so it shouldn't be hard to do. Philomena really enjoys listening to classical music as well, so I'm hoping this will have a more calming effect on her before bedtime.

I even have plans for the future based around reading.  We're currently doing up plans to build in the house and we're going to put in a fireplace!  It will sit between the lounge and dining rooms to warm the living and dining areas.  So this is my dream.  It's another thing I've always wanted.  I won't get my library room, but I'll get my fireplace.  I can't wait one day to be reading books on the recliner, with a hot cup of tea by a warm fire during winter!  Funny how these little things can inspire you.  You may not think it gets cold in Brisbane, but I'm a cold frog and it gets quite cold here where we are.  The house sits in a gully and we seem to trap the cold air.  I had the heating on in September, it was that cold!





Anyway...if you're into reading and have some good recommendations, I hope you'll share!

And...I'd like to know what you do and whether you have a favourite daily escape and how you escape!

3 comments:

Charlotte Orr said...

Hi Kerry, I love reading to escape too. At the moment I'm reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. One of the reasons I'm enjoying it is because the chapters are very short, so it's great to read just before bed.

Kerry W said...

Hey Charlotte...what is 1Q84 about?

Kerry W said...

I found your book, 1Q84 in the bookstore yesterday Charlotte. It looks intriguing and quite a thick book to get through!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo