Monday, May 4

Results & Learnings - Program 3








No big surprises here, considering the tumultuous last 2 weeks I've had on the program. A gain of 2.25kg from my start weight of 57.55kg. My finish weight was 59.8kg, and that's mainly due to my erratic eating in the last two weeks of the program, and need I say it...carbs!

I have to be honest in saying that this program was the first one where I've had some real challenges. Apart from having to have a forced break of 3 days due to overtraining in program 2, the first 6 months I was a machine. I also lost weight consistently just about every week for 6 months. So you could say that I had a dream run.

With Program 3, mentally I struggled a little for the first time. Last week I was also out of action from a bad head cold for a few days, and it was the first time I've officially been sick in 9 months. It was also the first time I would see my weight yo-yo from week to week. And my training wasn't as consistent either, mainly in the last 4 weeks due to a muscular niggle which saw me having to cut back on intensity. So things sought of fizzled towards the end. Though my attitude has been fairly stable which I am happy about. I haven't been fretting about the weight increase, because I know why it happened, and I only have myself to blame.

But you know...it's no biggie.

I learnt alot this time round. More than the first two programs. I learnt about what my body best responds to in relation to both nutrition and exercise, and how to 'tweak' my nutrition if my training changes. I needed to learn this so I know how to maintain my best results. And now I know. I don't freak when I see my weight anymore. It's just a number...an indication of where I am at, and a reminder of what I need to do and what adjustments I need to make to help me maintain my 'ideal body' for me. So overall, I'm quite happy.

I'll be spending the next week maintaining my current exercise program and enjoying some changes, like doing some Les Mills classes, and also getting back to a clean diet. All of this is preparation to start program 4 and I also want to 'feel lean', refreshed and relaxed going into my medical examination/interview on Tuesday. Then it will be full steam ahead, and I'm eager to start program 4 with the same focus and intensity I started my first program!

As you can see in the front and back shots which are before and afters for this program, there's not a great deal of change. Measurement-wise, there's some slight increases on my hips and waist, but no surprise there either. I expect my BF% will be up again too, and I have a different person doing my measurements this time, so I'm not too sure what to expect. My overall goal for the year is to be between 10-12% bodyfat. I've never reached 10% anyway, and don't expect that would ever happen unless I decided to do comp (which I have no intention of doing).

The first pic is a full body shot at week 8. I just like this pic (apart from the 'just woke up' hair) as it shows how my definition is coming along, mainly in my quads and the 'look' is getting closer to what I aspire towards.

Program 3 & 4 were never going to be about weight loss, but I know as long as I continue to train in the same manner and follow my nutrition plan consistently, I don't see why I can't maintain a 'lean' look all year round. Of course, it's important to plan recovery periods in-between. Even on these programs I have still managed to increase my muscle mass, and getting bigger isn't a goal for me anyway. I figure that will happen gradually as long as I keep challenging myself and continue along a similar path to the one I've followed in the last 9 months.

And of course, I still have in mind to lose that bodyfat on my hips, bum and tummy. I may never completely get rid of it. I've figured that genetically it just may not be possible, but hey...that doesn't mean I should stop trying! Another two years of training and who knows how my body will change over that period. Anyway...it's the journey that's the fun part, and I'm so excited about the future and excited about what training variations I'll be experiencing. There's just so much to choose from isn't there?

So it's ciao for now and hope everyone has a great week! :)

3 comments:

Fifi said...

Yeah I love that first shot too Kerry, your quads look awesome in that one. Even though you were a little disappointed with some aspects this time round, you have been going at this for 9 months now and made SUCH leaps and bounds in your fitness and physique. I think your FABULOUS.

Mightee Mouse said...

Wowza! Looking great Kerry - Cheack out those quads!

Kerry W said...

Awww..shucks on the lovely comments, though honestly...'awesome' to me are those fit chick pics I post on here. But I'm coming along, thanks heaps. :)

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo