Saturday, May 2

Going with the Flow, and other Ponderings



Well I'm back from my 'mini-break' and I rather enjoyed pottering around Brisbane city and doing some things I seldom have the opportunity to do. It was a real mixed bag as far as what I did, and the time didn't go fast at all. I managed to get in the things I wanted to do, and all at a leisurely pace.

The first pic is the view from the 30th floor (top floor) of the Sofitel Brisbane. It also happens to be the gym. I was rather proud of myself for working out during my little stay, and I managed to fit in two weights sessions while there. Though I had to change some of my exercises, as there wasn't a great array of machines. The view is of post office square, and ANZAC square is at the bottom of the pic. You can just see the top of the ANZAC Memorial.

The weather was absolutely glorious and I got in a bit of walking, and really enjoyed the walk over to Southbank. I caught the new movie 'Defiance' with Daniel Craig, and it was very enjoyable. I did however need my tissues. The 'Buddhas Birthday' celebrations were also in full swing at Southbank and the place was buzzing. I took the opportunity to also lay back under the trees and do some serious contemplation - mainly about martial arts and also about life in general and how I'm spending my time. I've fought hard these last few years to keep life simple, but I also have a tendency to complicate things, rather than leave all well enough alone.

I am rather proud of myself though, and instead of embarking on a 'complication' mission, I decided not to take on any more 'stuff' and accepted the fact that I have made some worthwhile goals this year, and I will stick to those plans and goals.

One of those goals which wasn't listed, because it's not a fitness goal, is to spend more time with Philomena in the 'here and now'. I want to encourage her imagination; her wonderful, delightful love of the theatrical and her enthusiasm to engage with everyone. She really is a delight and leaves such a magical imprint on those whom she comes into contact with. I only came to the realisation that in 1 1/2 years she will be off to prep school, and so, I only have less than two years to really engage with her and be part of the magical world she lives in.

She loves reading and stories and playing make believe with her little 'friends'. I got so excited in the book stores looking at all the classic stories to share with her, and thinking about all the wonderful moments that we can create. Plays to be acted out and dress-ups - things to make and paint and draw - sports and activities we can play outside - interesting things we can do together, like our recent visit to the museum, which she loved. She wanted to see 'T-Rex'...he..he... She loves to sing and dance, and we sing songs together. Sometimes I sing her lullabies still, because she remembers me singing her to sleep. We sing Do-re-mi and Incy Wincy Spider, and she loves reciting her nursery rhymes.
So anyway...I decided I'm spending way too much time on the computer, and not enough time engaging with my daughter. I just don't want to miss any more time.

So you may not see as many bloggings here. And facebook is definitely a bit too contagious I think! I will have to scale down on time spent on FB too...lol...though I'll still update myself on everyone's happenings. I just might not comment so much. We'll see.

Okay...back to my mini-break....Food...how could I leave out this very important factor, as that is all I thought about leading into it. The first morning's breakfast at Sofitel I was a bit of a glutton for punishment, and after that bit of greasy bacon with my sausage, tomato, scrambled egg, and hash brown on toast, my stomach was churning a little. But I soldiered on. I'd already had a bowl of cornflakes topped with some yummy porridy-muesli-like concoction and honey and almond yoghurt. That was followed by croissants, nuts and juice. That's all I could handle. Very disappointed! This morning I decided to skip the bacon and scrambled egg after my cereal, and opted for eggs benedict (a wiser choice), followed by fruit and nuts and I finished off with three plain croissants (I luuuv pastry) and a cup of tea. I didn't feel so bad this morning and decided for the rest of the day (except for the seared chicken burger & fries at Macca's) to make healthier choices. And tonight after my chicken and veges made the decision to polish off my last glass of Brown Brothers Moscato, and start afresh tomorrow! I am not looking forward to my weigh-in tomorrow, but you know what...pffffft! This was my last week of program 3, and it was nice to just enjoy it. I have one week 'off plan' and am eager to start program 4, though I will be getting back to a clean diet as of tomorrow.

I did discover a new little haunt which is ideal for contemplations and ponderings. The 'Sugar'n'Spice' coffee shop opposite and to the right of post office square. A quaint, private, little coffee shop with dark timber decor and big glass windows where you can sit at a timber bench looking out into the street. There's a bus stop just outside, and I had a wonderful time 'people-watching', as all manners of people got on and off the bus.

Oh...the second pic BTW, is me sitting in our room reading my latest book purchase. It was pure bliss to be able to sit and read for however long I wanted to. However, my eyelids starting to get heavy and I ended up having a little nanna nap before we headed out for dinner down at Eagle Street pier (overlooking Brisbane river for those who haven't been to Brissy). The first night we just went to coffee club (we had set a $30 budget per meal for both of us). The second night we ate at a great little place down at the pier after spotting it on our walk along the boardwalk. It's called 'The Groove Train' and the decor and atmosphere was quite Bohemiam, which I love. Wood-fired pizza was the order of the night and it was very scrummy!

Well I'd better toddle off to bed. I've spent too long on here already, and want to get in some reading time before bed. Have a great week all!

3 comments:

Raechelle said...

Sounds like a fab weekend! And good luck with simmering on the internet stuff. I haven't been as good as I had planned to be at the beginning of the year...will have to give myself a spanking maybe-LOL!
Cheers!

Rachael P said...

Good work Kerry, good to see you have a clear vision of what is needed. Want to pass some through the blog I could do with some clarity.

Yes it does get a little daunting when the little one is nearly ready for school. But I am sure with all the things you have planned for her are going to make it such an easy adjustment for her to be with other kids and adults and have the needed abilities to interact easily.

And I agree, the PC seems to take up alot of time.

Rach

Miss Positive said...

Sounds like your mini break was pure bliss!! I love curling up with a good book too, especially when theres no housework or washing calling your name!

Hilary xx

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo