Wednesday, March 2

Mixing It Up


We all know the saying...'Variety is the Spice of Life'. I couldn't agree more. But have you considered variety when it comes to your exercise and your nutrition?

I was actually thinking about this (not very long though) during Zumba this morning. And reading Liz' recent post, also got me thinking about it, as someone said..."mixing-it-up".

This period of my training and fitness has been a very different one for me. It's one that I've experienced just about nil pain. I've felt stronger and felt my technique improve. I'm feeling really good and feeling lean, yet my nutrition is more varied and more exciting. I'm gaining more clarity on everything in my life and I'm feeling mentally sharper. I'm also much more relaxed. Still achieving alot, yet feeling more relaxed.

I've put this down to what I'm doing currently. My training is so much more varied these days and I've said before, it's become more intuitive. And it's working! Wow! Awesome!

My training regime kinda looks like this...strength training + cardio 4 days a week, and cardio on the 5th day + martial arts training 1-2 times per week (when I can fit it in). Now it seems pretty boring, but in actual fact I'm doing...strength training; cycling; cross-trainer; treadmill; Zumba. Some weeks the mix sees me doing rowing, pilates; boxing; bodybalance; etc. And the great part is, that I can mix and match my cardio with strength training, depending on what's happening in my life, i.e. army, recovery, holidays, etc.

So at the moment I'm really loving the variety with my training. It keeps me fresh, and on days like Wednesdays where I've had to work late the night before, the Zumba class is just what I need to get motivated and lift my spirits and put me in the g-r-r-o-o-o-v-e.

And something most people don't realise is, that with variety you're moving your body differently. You're using different muscles and getting stronger and progressing in ways you don't realise. And they can be little things which might be quite subtle, that over time, can make a huge difference to your overall performance and increase your skill sets.

For instance...doing Zumba each week, I've become alot more relaxed and less stiff when I move my body and I've become better co-ordinated, especially with my feet...lol... I've just started doing single leg romanian deadlifts, and I've found that my balance is improving.

And as far as nutrition, I'm finding it much easier to lean out when I'm being disciplined with my food, whilst still enjoying variety in what I eat (even though I do tend to eat the same things over and over).

So why not look at doing things a bit differently and 'mixing-it-up'? You might feel a little out of place and uncomfortable to begin with, but as you do this more and more, you'll find that you'll actually pick up new things much easier and you'll enjoy your exercise alot more. Who said that exercise has to be boring?

0 comments:

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo