Thursday, February 24

The Cost of Being Exceptional...


"If you want to BE DIFFERENT..DO DIFFERENT."
- Craig Harper


Thanks to Hannah-Lee for the introducing me to Larissa Reis.

Since I've returned from my birthday week and weekend celebrations, and from attending Craig Harper's workshop, things have been cruising along nicely. But, in reality, what I need to do is take things up a notch or two. What I was hoping for was all manner of signs from the universe to suddenly align and I would experience that moment...that sudden epiphany.


Of course, that hasn't happened. Admittedly it did happen late last year and I built up some serious momentum with my training right through Christmas and into the New Year, and was happy with the results.

However, it's been a little bit more difficult to resurrect that same momentum since my recovery period a few weeks ago now. I also knew that once I started back at work, that it would change the way I trained, and would be a matter of readjusting to a new, and even more intuitive training schedule, based around going back to work, and also, new and recent changes based around family.

This week I thought I could start to build some new momentum again, since having a new training program. But I've been fighting some type of infection, which has had me feeling really off and experiencing some light-headedness, feeling strangely similar to my previous BPV (benign positional vertigo) bouts. Nothing serious, just annoying and hindering me from really getting into my training program. I've just had to accept it for what it is and work on ridding myself of whatever it is that's trying to take a hold, and start strong at the beginning of next week. I managed to get in a good training session yesterday, but by last night was feeling rather off once again.

So I admit that I've reached a place where I've been feeling great (apart from this week's small gliche) and starting to feel lean again. I've just become comfortable where I'm at. I'm happy to be here right now.

But you know, I've had that conversation recently with my coach and for the first time since attending CH's workshop, I'm now starting to really think about what it is that I want from my training and fitness journey, and the goals I set at the start of the year.

Do you know what I want? I want to do me...do Kerry, and do Kerry exceptionally!

So the thing is, I have another 2kg's to hit my goal weight of 57kg's. My goal is to get lean and stay lean, all year round. That is goal numero uno. I'm still working on my core strength and stability and rehab - that's a given and that's non-negotiable and will never change.

My other goals are intertwined. I want to build particular muscles, not just because they need development from an 'aesthetic' point of view, but also because in order for me to increase my strength and endurance, my muscles need to work synergistically and be 'functional'. I can't improve my performance if my muscles are not working correctly. It's a slower process, but I'm building better and more solid foundations.

So what really motivates me is my desire to have a great set of legs and a great butt! For some, this might sound shallow. But the reality is, in order to achieve what I want will take alot of hard and consistent training in the gym. And not months, but years of hard work. And what most people fail to realise is that being lean is mostly about nutrition. It takes alot of discipline to get and stay lean, and even though training is really important, the road to exceptional means watching every thing you put into your mouth. It's a simple concept to grasp, but the reality is the harder to apply.

You know, I have no aspirations to do a body building comp, even though I have many friends and acquaintances in that fitness genre. But the one thing that I love about the people in the industry is their work ethic. You don't get to look like the Pauline Nordin's, the Larissa Reis's of the world without a lot of hard work. It's not an easy road and takes alot of dedication.

And even though you see many people in the gym who aspire to be fit, lean and toned, it takes a special kind of obsession to reach the heights of those in the BB industry. There are many people who are extremely fit, but to also 'look' exceptional takes that much more work and discipline, and that's why I have such respect for those in the industry.

If you take a look around, being lean and being muscular is not the norm. You have to be exceptional.

Now...I'll never be a Pauline Nordin or Larissa Reis. I'm not fitness model material. I'm not 22, I'm 42. I don't want to be them. That would be an exercise in futility. To me, they are visual motivational aids.

However, I do want to be the very best me I can be, and use the potential I have, even with the physcial limitations I have.

So, to 'be exceptional', I have to 'do exceptional'. The question is...what's the cost, and am I willing to pay the price?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great goal, Kerry - to be YOU - and the best YOU that you can be. It's so easy to look at certain people - role models if you will - and compare ourselves to them. But we don't take into account that we AREN'T them...As you put it - we can look to them for motivation and inspiration but it shouldn't extend beyond that or we are fighting a losing battle.
Anyway - congratulations on getting to a place where you are content with yourself. Self acceptance can be one of the most difficult tasks, so to have achieved it - that's fabulous! :)

Kerry W said...

Hey Vicki. Thanks for dropping by, and thanks for your thoughtful words. Sometimes you wonder if people get what you say and mean, so it's nice to know that someone does. :) I hope to one day meet you in person, now that you're so close. Southbank/Kangaroo Point is a great place to live. I lived on River Terrace for a short while, and being able to train along the river and go swimming at Southbank was awesome. I loved it there! I just dropped in quickly into your blog for the first time, and hope to get to know you better through blogland. :)

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo