Monday, October 13

Helloooo....Reality Check!

Only just recently...like today...I got a reality check! It was from my physio.

You see...the last 3 months I've been going great guns. I am so pumped and motivated and I haven't felt this good for years...like about 6 years! I have been getting fitter and stronger and have made alot of gains in not only my weight and fat loss, but also in strength and flexibility.

Here I was being really chuffed with myself, and I decided last week to try a 20-minute jog on the treadmill. I started fairly well, and upped the speed cause I wasn't feeling anything aerobically. Now I was really careful to make sure I had the right form, and felt pretty good. I felt a little niggle in the right hip after about 10 minutes, but pushed on for another 10 minutes. Well, you know how I said I was stiff after that? I was stiff for about 3-4 days afterwards, and I'm still feeling just a little sore. Naughty girl...

Anyway...I decided to phone my physio and relay this experience, because I was reading something in the Sunday Mail which sounded like what I was experiencing, and the word 'osteoarthritis' was dropped. Well, didn't I panic...Me?...I couldn't possibly have that. I mean...I've played sport all my life, and it's only been the last 6 years that I haven't been so active. And I eat pretty good most of the time. Things like that don't happen to me...I'm (once again becoming) bullet-proof don't you know?

Luckily, he put me at ease, and asked..."Kerry - when was the last time you jogged?". To which I replied "oh about 5 years". "Hmmm..." he said. "And tell me", he continued, "How long did it take you to reach peak physical condition when you started martial arts", he asked. "Oh, about 6 years, training 2-3 hrs a day, 6 days a week", I replied.

Well, venture to say, there was silence on the phone as I pondered exactly what he had just said. And the penny dropped, and he continued..."the most common problem with people who are starting a training program, or should I say, re-starting a training program (ah..hem..I think he meant muua...), is that they have the memory of what they 'used to be able to do' and do too much too soon. Take it easy. You will get there." End of quote...end of lesson...

Patience is not one of my virtues, but I knew what he was talking about, as he reminded me about the time when I paid a personal trainer to get back into shape and I injured myself because I was hell bent on pushing myself to the limit! Hey...that's all I knew. That's how I always trained. Stupid!

But I don't want to go back to being a fat, unfit, dibilitated slob whose self confidence was at an all-time low and who could only see a futile future with increased health problems, complete dibilitation, and as a failed role model for my little girl.

Okay...so it's back to the drawing board. Feet firmly on the ground...check...reality...check...patience has now been restored!

Ciao for today...Kerry :)

2 comments:

Fifi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fifi said...

Oh no! I commented but it attached to the previous post.

I give up. Glad I haven't got mine going yet so you can't get on there and randomly comment on the wrong posts.....

Just ignore me!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo