Monday, November 10

Did Superwoman ever hit a Plateau?



OMG...I think I've hit my first wall in my program! Yes girls...it's very hard for me to admit...I'm no Superwoman, regardless of what the boys at the gym call me.
It happened last Friday night. I even remember when...my cardio session after weights, doing interval...10 min medium resistance - 2.5 min maximum resistance (and I upped the x-trainer to level 6 and went like the clappers...saying to my fat..."Burn you bastard...Burn!") - 5 min light resistance...repeat for 30 minutes..then I died.
Saturday I struggled to get to the gym, and once there struggled to get through my program, and I just made it! I had even planned to start some martial arts basic training in an extra arvo session, but knew that sure as hell wasn't going to happen. Needless to say, I was a walking Zombie all day Saturday; slept like a rock that night, and Sunday...well...more Zombie-like behaviour and a cat-nap in the afternoon.
I usually recover by Monday, but today I felt so flat! Arrrgh..this can't be happening! Not to me! Sob...sob...sob...
I mean...I still got through my workout tonight...still pushed myself hard, but my head space is definitely 'out there' somewhere. Okay...now if I was coaching (martial arts), what would I tell someone who was experiencing this (whatever it is)? I would tell them they have hit a Plateau, and my best advice would be...."train through the Plateau".
And it's not just training...I've been soooo hungry, I could eat the crotch out of a rag doll! I've been dreaming about FOOD...food...glorious foooood! Hot chips...pizza...cheese and herb garlic bread toasted under the grill with grated cheese...melting...stringy...mmmmm. I cooked meat balls strogonoff last night for dinner for hubby and Phil and the smell of those meat balls frying was so tantalising. But...I was strong. I resisted!
Then it's the training...I really want a change...do some Les Mills classes...some Body Jam, Body Balance...maybe a couple of Fit Box classes. You know...something a little different, a little more fun and just...mix it up a little?
But you know...I will take my own advice...I'll train through the Plateau. I'll do it, because as a coach, I knew that if you didn't ride it out, you ended up exiting before the next ride. And besides...we go to Caloundra in a couple of weeks for our yearly 'beach sabbatical'.
So you know what? I'm not going to the gym to workout! (I had already thought about booking this great boutique gym so I didn't have to miss my normal workout - how freaky am I?). I'm going to have a (real) holiday!
Some R&R...early morning walks to Kings Beach in the mornings and hit the surf before heading back for breakfast. Then it'll be back to the beach for some family time with Philomena and Anthony...kick back...relax...soak up the sun...more swimming...head back for lunch...more swimming in the arvo...afternoon nap time for all...dinner...veg out in front of the TV (once Phil is asleep)...maybe catch a movie at the cinema a couple of nights...Australia Zoo outing one day...hopefully catch up for a coffee with the IBO 'Sunshine Coast Girls'...a FREE CHOICE MEAL (how exciting! hmmmm...don't know whether it will be fish and chips on the beach, or pizza) and just chill! What do you think?
Damn it...I think I deserve it! Even Superwoman's gotta have a break sometime!
Ciao for now...Kerry :)

3 comments:

Rachael P said...

Yes you bloody well deserve it girl. Dont fuss too much about your holiday. You will end up doing the right thing I know will. A little slide doesnt hurt, it will just make you more determined to pick up and not do it again. Am starting to get a jist of your thinking and I dont think you will allow yourself to relax fully or to slip up a bit. So thats faith that your going to be okay.

Yes the plateau is a shit I must say. I am fighting through one now but it doesnt help with my current circumstances keeping it all in there in my face.

Kerry you have done so well, especially since you have been non stop for so long. Your not going to ruin your hard work, your mind is working towards an ultimate goal and I dont think you will allow it to not happen.

Some sound advise in your post though, keep working through it. Now I feel I should be doing something instead of sitting at the PC. But I know I need to get over my crap before I can.

Rach

Fifi said...

I'd definitely go the Pizza....and I'd go for the red wine as well...but that's just me.

You're doing fantastically well Kerry spoil yourself. Remember Rach and I had our biggest losses when we had bad weeks where we couldn't workout.

I've been doing some reading about exercise/food and metabolism. not only can your body's metabolism slow down from lack of food but it also slows down from too much exercise so sometimes it's good to have a "mini-break' when you need it.

I'm sure your metabolism is just "lurking" there waiting to sudden have a big drop soon...

But why can't you be Superwoman. I'm Wonder Woman!! he he

Rachael P said...

Superwomen, wonderwomen, hhhmm now I will have to think of something to keep the theme going. Maybe catwomen or ladyhawk. Oh well any is good for me, they were all skinny bitches anyway with heaps of strength.

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo