Tuesday, June 9

Life is a Gift



Saturday afternoon saw me with a few hours of solitary bliss, at home by myself enjoying quiet time without Philomena or AW around. I had lots of housework to do, but thought "bugger it"! It will always be there no matter what.

I felt like kicking back and just vegging in front of the box, so I trundled off to Blockbusters to grab the DVD I've been waiting to watch....Seven Pounds. Now I didn't actually know what it was all about, but I knew there were going to be some tear-jerking moments. AW filled me in on what the critics had to say, but boohoo to the critics - I'll make up my own mind thank you.

Suffice to say that by the end of the movie, it was time to collect Phil and AW, and my eyes were all red and I had a headache. I'm such a cry baby...but I love watching these types of movies. AW just says "arrrrhhh...why do you do it?", i.e. put myself through the tears and emotions.


Why? Because sometimes life is so damn good, that I need to witness and empathise with what it may be like to have the shoe on the other foot...to remember that LIFE IS A GIFT, and that I need to appreciate what I have, however small or insignificant it may appear.

The part that had me balling like a baby was when Ben (Will Smith) and Emily (Rosario Dawson - who is just gorgeous BTW) were sitting under a tree in a field, and Emily was telling Ben about her dreams of being able to run (she suffers from Cardiomyopathy, I think) and what it would be like to lead a normal life without the fear of dropping dead any moment.

I was balling like a baby, because for someone like me, I take that for granted - that I can walk, run, play, push myself to physical limits and do anything physically that I want, and know that my body is strong, agile and healthy. I don't have any medical problems, and apart from some muscular imbalances and muscles that need strengthening, I am in perfect health.

And because I am in perfect health, I can pursue goals that many people my age and older would never dare to dream. How lucky am I? Of course, I have always looked after myself for the majority, so being fit and healthy didn't just happen by chance. Not without work and on-going self education and a belief, that by staying healthy there would be a better life for the offering.

Emily and Ben also played a little game called What If? I tried asking myself that question, but it was a hard one to ask. It's easy if your what-ifs revolve around positive actions and outcomes, but a truly difficult one when faced with real hardship and adversities, of which we have no control. Sometimes it's better to leave these thoughts well alone, and cherish the life you are living right now.

4 comments:

Fifi said...

OMG Kerry I saw that one at the cinema. I swear the whole row must have been vibrating with my uncontrolable sobbing. Geez.

I've got the dvd on my bigpond list but don't know if I can put myself through it again!

Anonymous said...

It really makes you think doesn't it, that we really don't have much to whinge and moan about.
When I get asked whats happening, I always say now can't complain, weather is glorious, im happy, nothings wrong - Lifes good ain't it.
We gotta remind ourselves to live in the now, eh! xo

Nicole said...

Hi Kerry, I find there can be a real paradox in 'what ifs'. If we are asking ourselves 'what if' for something better, it can highlight areas where we are not honouring our desires. Paradoxically, asking 'what if' can serve to make you long for things you can't have..... if you're going to ask 'what if' you need to be prepared for the answer....

Kerry W said...

Yeah Frankie...I think the worst part was right at the end when I realised Emily was getting Ben's heart. Definitely some uncontrollable sobbing there too...lol...

Life is great Em! :)

I think that's the scariest part Nicole - being prepared for the answer. Sometimes by asking the 'what-if's' can actually complicate our lives, so that's why I think it's best not to ask ourselves this question (as Em says..."we gotta remind ourselves to live in the now").

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo