Sunday, July 12

Coffee'n'Chocolate


This is what I ate today...yummo!

Today AW and I went to the Coffee'n'Chocolate Affair at the Portside Wharf, Hamilton (Brisbane). It's an occasion we've pencilled into our yearly calendars for 'us time'. Last year was the first year of the event, and after going last year, we've vowed to make it a regular thing every year. It's quite a decadent day.

We get their early so we can get a good parking spot, and go straight to the 'Lindt' tent, which is our favourite tent. Our first stop is here, because that's where the chocolate coated strawberries are found, and there are three different chocolate fountains...milk chocolate, white chocolate and dark chocolate. I had 3 strawberrries - 2 with milk and 1 with white chocolate. And the strawberries are hewwwge!

We then go and buy some Lindt chocolate, usually for gifts, because they sell them at great prices, and today I had to buy some rocky road after sampling some last year (and I get some for Philomena because she loves chocolate and rocky road). It's a real simple recipe, but it's my favourite, and the fact that it's made with Lindt chocolate, tops it off. It has Lindt chocolate (of course), marshmallows, turkish delight and pistachios...to die for...lol...

Then, it's off to buy a good quality coffee. Today it was Bella coffee, and I had some of my rocky road with that. They also have a few other good quality brand coffee tents, but AW likes Bella coffee. It's also time to sample some freebie goodies...chocolate brownies...chocolate coated coffee beans, and much more. I did sample some pieces of brownies, but after the chocolate-coated strawberries, coffee and a little rocky road, that was enough for me. I had to be able to fit in lunch.

AW and I also check out the coffee machines. That's on our wish list, and AW wants a manual expresso, so maybe next year we'll look at getting one (fingers crossed). AW worked in hospitality at a major hotel in his younger days, and learnt alot about coffees and making them (and cleaning the machines), and said he wouldn't buy anything else but a manual. I don't care, as long as he makes the coffee and it's good!

After that we met some friends for lunch, and luckily AW had booked the restaurant. It was nice to be able to saunter past the throng and sit down inside (it was cold and breezy) to enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere and good conversation. I had 'Chicken Avocado', which was basically chicken breast on turkish bread with avocado, tomato, pesto, cucumber and lettuce, served with beer battered chips and garlic paprika aioli. Whenever I have a free meal, if beer battered chips is on the menu, then I MUST HAVE IT! I couldn't finish my meal though, and ended up taking home a doggy bag with the rest of my meal.

So that was about it. I just love this event because not only was it a beautiful day (even though a little chilly and breezy), but it was just nice to spend time with AW. We got time just to sit in the sun and watch everyone pass by. I love people watching! They have live music too...jazz...funky...nice and mellow, which really sets off the atmosphere.

Then it was time to head off and pick up Philomena who came to my MIL's front door upon our arrival and said..."where's my surprise?". On revealing the rocky road, her face lit up with a huge smile - her hands cupped over her mouth, and with big eyes exclaimed ..."Ooooo...chocolate...my favourite!"

What a perfect way to spend a Sunday!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

It sure does sound like a perfect Sunday... Glad you enjoyed your special day together. (Rocky Road is my favourite as well) xx

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm Chocolate! Sounds like a great way to spend time with AW too!And I can just imagine Philomena's face.
I love Lindt dark chocolate and Haighs dark chocolate. If you ever visit Adelaide you MUST go to their factory at Greenhill Road. My parents live near there and I used to walk into work (town) and you can smell the chocolate fumes on the road! hehehe They make dark choc rocky road only available a certain time of year.

Fifi said...

Geeez. I shouldn't have read this today...there's a half eaten birthday mudcake on my table just calling my name....

Kerry W said...

Thanks Nicole....Rocky Road is devine isn't it? And it sure was a perfect Sunday. :)

Em...Lindt chocolate is definitely yummo, though I find dark chocolate a bit too strong for me. Though, I could probably go the dark chocolate rocky road. I'll keep that chocolate factory in Adelaide in mind, if I ever visit there.

So did you answer to your name Frankie? he..he..he..

Raechelle said...

What a lovely day...and topped off with chocolate...good for you! Keeping it in balance girl!

Anonymous said...

Um, I think I just put on 5 kg reading this and fantasising about it.

Meanwhile, i think that spending time with AW is just so important - it's like the best date-day in the world! Chocolate, music and lurrrrrve!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo