Wednesday, July 1

2009 Goals Re-Visited





Here are the 2009 GOALS I listed at the start of the year:


a) Enlist in the Army Reserves (PT) and attend initial base training in Kapooka, VIC for July 2009 intake. Check. Basic Training at this stage will be September 2009.

b) Reach 10% BF and maintain around 12%, regardless of weight (in expectation of muscle mass increase over time). Cross. Eh-hem....Maybe a bit too ambitious? I'm currently around 15-16% BF. So will revise and aim to reach 12%-13% by end of the year.

c) Develop superior core (including lower back)/ab, upper body and hip/glute strength, utilising both weights and bodyweight resistance exercises. Check. Going well...though I wouldn't call it 'superior' just yet. Getting stronger all the time though. Will need to put down some 'specifics' here...numbers, weights, types of exercises I think. Like pull-ups, weights, etc. Though may not really know what to aim for until I begin at Crossfit.

d) Increase dynamic/explosive strength in legs, utilising both weights and bodyweight resistance exercises. Check. I'm quite surprised at how responsive my legs have been and how much stronger they are, especially since doing HIIT and circuit training, incorporating more explosive-type movements.

e) Incorporate 1/2 hour of Qi-Gong exercises into daily routine to balance internal and external (muscular) systems of the body, and to relieve tension. Big Cross...I just haven't been able to fit this in. ATM, my stretches and physio exercises to address my muscular imbalances and specific muscular strength are a higher priority.

f) Increase recovery periods, with sufficient sleep by aiming to be in bed by 9:30-10pm each night. Tick...mostly. I've been getting to bed alot earlier, except for Tuesday nights as I don't finish work until 10pm. But on the whole, I've been getting more sleep, and it's making a difference to my recovery.

g) Maintain a healthy, adequate nutrition program to support and sustain my exercise regime, as well as being able to successfully fulfil the other roles I play. Tick. I'm surprised how long I've maintained my exercise and nutrition, though I shouldn't be surprised. It's much easier while on program. The real test will come when I finish my 4th and last Ideal Bodies Online program. Though I am armed with enough information and experience that I'm confident I can maintain.






h) Return to Wing Chun training in the 2nd half of 2009. This goal hasn't as yet been realised, but at this stage it will be around August - October. I will also start my own training to maintain the skills I have in shaolin kung fu, and general martial arts skills, i.e. kicking, punching, footwork, weaponry, hand/elbow conditioning,etc. Though this year, I probably won't be able to achieve alot. Just starting in martial arts training will be exciting for me. I'm more patient with myself now.




i) Utilise/incorporate more 'General Physical Preparedness' (GPP) programs to improve my fitness levels. Objective..."optimise physical competence in:
* Cardio-vascular & Respiratory endurance * Stamina * Strength * Flexibility * Power * Speed * Co-ordination *Agility *Balance *Accuracy" . Another goal yet to be realised fully, however, the most recent programs I've done have given me a good, strong base on which to build. This I hope to achieve when I start at Crossfit, which will be between August - October. No serious training until October.


So after that post-mortem, I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself! Actually...I really want to say this...I'm loving myself sick right now! (my fav Judy idiom ATM). Oh! And thanks to LizN for reminding me about reviewing my goals, hence, giving me the material for my post today!

Ciao for now...Kerry :)

4 comments:

Fifi said...

Great going Kerry! Yeah, sometimes we need to revise as we go (I am the queen of 'revised goals') LOL! Of course rehab comes before all so glad you're really noticing improvement there.

I'm confident I'm going to see you reach all of those!

LizN said...

Well Kerry, looks to me like you're killing it.
Well done!
xox

Nicole said...

Hi Kerry... sorry I haven't visited for a while.... been a tad busy. I loved reading your post today. YOU are sooooo inspring. And you are so on track for your goals. Kudos to you for being so focused. Everything is as it should be. :)

Kerry W said...

I think I'll be 'rehabbing' (if that's a word) for a while yet. My physio has me doing isolation exercises for my multifadus muscles and Gluteus medius/maximus, which are showing to have a direct effect on eachother when exercising.

Liz...I'm getting there and I'm on track, which is liberating, considering I haven't been able to achieve much in the last 5 years or more (I was shooting for the wrong goals).

Nicole...yes, everything is as it should be. There's still stuff I'm working on, i.e. rehab of muscles, but it's coming along nicely - thanks. :)

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo