Tuesday, March 3

Be, Do, Have...

I've heard many versions of 'Be, Do, Have'. It's very difficult 'being' when you don't have the belief yet. But it's amazing when you do start to believe. From the outside, things probably don't appear to have changed much, but on the inside when they have, it's amazing what you believe is possible. Anyway...just wanted to pass on some interesting stuff from the 'Combat Sports Psychology' blog I read. You might just get something out of it. This is just an excerpt, but just click on the link above for the entire version.

"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do." – Epictetus

Stoics were big into logic, reason, and planning. This quote is only one of many references to the importance of setting goals and moving purposefully toward them. The assertion to “do what you have to do” reflects their “no whining” orientation. Keeping your goals in mind will motivate you to push through adversity. Complaining when things get tough will not help your training. You must take responsibility for your goals and for doing what you have to do to attain them.

"Your life is what your thoughts make it." -Marcus Aurelius

Thoughts control the climate of the mind. They also affect how we feel emotionally and physically. We can choose which thoughts will populate our minds. We should choose thoughts that are positive and that facilitate our best performance. If you occupy your mind with doubts, limitations and physical discomfort, you give those thoughts power and make them stronger. Unless you are being proactive and directing your thinking, your brain will likely default to something negative. Focusing on negative thoughts, feelings, and sensations makes them worse. Confident thougths and fortitude can help give you a much needed boost.

And as the picture above says..."everything you need is already inside". You just have to believe!


6 comments:

Fifi said...

I keep revisiting my goals as I do get off track and I just have to keep reminding myself. What do I want? To get back into my size 12 jeans..THAT's WHAT! Eyes on the prize! Mine is so simple yet I still veer off course.

Fifi said...

this was in response to your last 2posts as I've been thinking about my goals...in case you thought I was just randomly waffling! LOL

Fifi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry W said...

No worries frankie...I'm used to you randomly waffling, and I think you're used to me doing the same. :)

Good to hear your eyes are back on the prize...SIZE 12 Jeans...woohoo!

Louise Wedgwood said...

Great quotes. Isn't it amazing that so many years ago people already had the wisdom we'd need today?

Kerry W said...

That's for sure LadyG. It's hard to create an 'original', because it's probably just about been said before, and anyway, why re-invent the wheel?

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo