Sunday, August 9

CROSSFIT...How Addictive is it?








Yesterday afternoon I attended the Crossfit 'Hard'n Up Challenge', in Coorparoo, Brisbane. I thought it would be a good opportunity to check it out, and see what all the hullabaloo is about, and whether it felt like it was going to be a good fit for me. I mean...I'd all but made up my mind anyway. However, sometimes your impression or image of what it is that you want, doesn't always equate when you're physically there. I needed to see for myself if Crossfit was genuinely down my alley.

Anyway...I went along for a look-see, and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks to Lisa for the invite - though I would have been there, invite or not. The atmosphere was really pumping, and I was really impressed with how excited, happy, social and energetic everyone was...so different to your average commercial gym. The other thing which really impressed me, were the competitors. There were people (men and women) of all different ages and fitness levels. The ones that couldn't lift the standard Crossfit weight (known as 'rxd'), had modified weights to match their fitness level, and also for those that had specific types of physical restrictions, the exercises were also modified to accommodate. How motivating for the individual is that?

I also got to meet Matt Swift, who is the owner of Crossfit Brisbane. I managed to catch him as he was busily finishing off his lunch. His courtesy, enthusiasm and love for all things 'Crossfit' is highly inspiring. He took the time to explain that what I saw at this challenge, isn't what happens at training sessions, and that the competitions were an opportunity for people to see what they could achieve.

I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon and watching the competitors give their all! Of course, I enjoyed the eye candy as well...lol...pity I only had my mobile phone for pics, and couldn't zoom in to get some better hot bod shots (sorry Frankie).

Well, I can't wait to start, and even though I know it's not going to be easy, I'm looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to learn new skills and improve my fitness. I'm so excited...I'm just waiting on a definite date to go to Kapooka, so I can start the next phase of my fitness journey. I haven't even started at Crossfit yet, but I think I'm already addicted!!

Ciao for now and have a great week! :-)

3 comments:

Rachael P said...

I really had never heard of them before I saw your post about going to one, but come to think about it I think the gym shows some sort of xfit stuff on their tvs but I never really paid attention cause I didnt watch it from the start. But it sounds pretty intense.

I am sure your going to do well at it.

Kerry W said...

Actually Rachael, I hadn't heard of them either until I decided I wanted something more challenging than a commercial gym. I was originally looking for 'kettlebell gyms' in Brisbane, and found the US crossfit site, which led me to finding the Brisbane Crossfit. It's not something everyone wants to do, and 12months ago I wouldn't have even considered it possible.

Lisa said...

Thanks for coming along. I am so pleased you liked it, and once you get into it I know you will be addicted.

Lisa

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo