Monday, August 10

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It



He..he..couldn't resist posting this cartoon pic up...can anyone relate?

Today is the start of week 2, post-Ideal Bodies Online program, and I'm doing pretty good. I got in all my planned training sessions last week. The achilles tendon is healing nicely, and my LHS wrist ligament strain is coming along s-l-o-w-l-y. This week I start adding upper body again into my weights program, so I'll see how my wrist goes. Writing up my current training schedule feels a little strange, and with some major changes about to happen with my training, I don't know how it's going to all pan out.

Thursday 20th August will be my last training session at a commercial gym before another full-on army training weekend roughing it in the great outdoors (near Ipswich...another freeze-my-butt off experience...it gets to minus temperatures). I've scheduled my first Crossfit introductory session for Wednesday 26th August, and my first formal martial arts training session for Monday 31st August. As of today, I still don't know when I will be leaving for Kapooka. I'm panelled to go on the 12th September, but they're still trying to get me on the early October timeslot. I would now prefer October, because it gives me extra time to get over my injuries and prepare my body for running (impacting), which I haven't been able to do alot in the last 2 months or so. It also gives me a whole month training at Crossfit and back at martial arts training. However, if the 12th September is it...so be it. It's just a nuisance, as I can't plan my training program with any certainty. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow night.

I've only just managed to set out my program for the next 4 weeks, and one of the things I've been thinking about lately is how I plan for post-IBO program. How do I plan a program that's going to give me the results I want, in the same way as when I had them written for me?

Well...armed with 12 months of programs, both nutrition and exercise, I should be able to devise an on-going, maintainable program, based on my current goals. I mean...there's so much to choose from - where do I start? With all that experience behind me, I've learnt a hell of a lot about myself and what my body responds well to - both exercise and nutrition-wise. I've been through enough to know what works for me and what doesn't.

So, I am of the old adage that "If it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

If it's worked well for me this long, what's not to say that it won't continue to do so into the future? What is important to remember here is that it's not entirely about the content of the program that I need to focus on (though that is still important), but the principles on which my programs were written. Why change something that works? It's crazy...but we do it! Change for change sakes is just going to steer you off course.

So here are Kerry's Fitness Maintenance principles, which I'm going to follow in order to maintain my results, but also continue to ensure I make progress toward my health and fitness goals...whatever they may be.

  1. Devise my training goals for 3 months

  2. Plan & Set out a Monthly Training Schedule, broken into 4 week blocks, then broken into daily schedules to keep focused on what I need to do.

  3. Keep a daily training & nutrition diary to log my progress, diarise consequences of my program, and be able to adapt it, based on my findings and observations.

  4. Maintain my current Nutrition program of 5-6 meals per day, and alter lower-higher carb ratio at meal 4 & include meal 6, depending on training intensity.

  5. Include one free meal per week, and drink a min. of 3 litres of water per day.


* Above is an example of a 4 weekly training program. I keep this in a display folder at the front, and then my actual program with individual exercises for my weights, cardio and abs, I put behind, to refer to. It stays in my gym bag, and I look at it every day, so I know what I'm doing and I can stay focused. Any changes that may crop up, I just alter the program to suit. By having this in front of me, I can look at the bigger picture.

* Above is an example of one day out of my IBO training and nutrition diary from December 2008.

I'm certain if I adhere to these principles, there will be no return to my former self or bad habits. I don't plan to weigh every week, but will go on how my clothes fit, especially around the waist. I will keep a monthly weigh-in though, as this will ensure I'm on track and I can then tweak my program to re-align and keep my weight in check. Any major fluctuations in weight is the first indication that things need to be revised.

The hardest part for me will be maintaining a clean diet and not adding in extras. The extras usually equate to 'carbs' and this is a recipe for a slow and gradual road back to 'fat and frumpy'. It's a place I have vowed never to return to! I have still yet to get back to a 100% clean diet during the week (it's only about 95%). It's happening, but it's too slow in all honesty. For me it's all or nothing. In-between just doesn't cut it! And it's not going to help me maintain my lifelong fitness goals.

So if you've come to the end of the road of your programs, don't just change it for the sake of change. Why throw away all the work you've done, and the good money you've spent to have your programs written for you? Just re-adjust your sails, and plan to continue on if you still want results. For those of you (who have been on IBO programs) who haven't had the luxury of having four IBO programs written for you, and still want to get more results, then I'd recommend either continuing on with a second 12 week full support program, or until you get the results you want. Alternately, if you don't want to go for the whole shebang, then why not consider getting a 6-week full support program, or an individual training and/or nutrition plan (without coaching). They're inexpensive alternatives, but can help you continue with the health and fitness gains you've already made (just thought I'd give a bit of a plug for IBO). And if you're baulking at spending the money...don't (whether that's IBO program, other program or no program)...work out a way to either make it happen or continue making it happen...it's worth it...you're worth it!

Well, that's about it! I hope my experiences can help someone out there to achieve their health and fitness goals. If you have any questions - I'm right here!

*P.S. For contractual reasons, I can't give you the IBO training and nutrition programs which were written for me specifically. You need to remember that each of us is very different, both in regard to our training goals and our physiological make-up, and that programs are written to suit you as an individual. What has worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it will work in exactly the same way for you.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as though everything is coming together (slowly but surely). I liked the cartoon picture, definitely agree!!
I think you've got all the right tools and motivation to keep you on track. Well done on keeping your the training and food logs up to date. Super organised!

Sandra said...

Hey Kerry,
Totally agree with your "all or nothing" attitude, if I don't give 100%, I don't get results...
It must be really exciting that your training is going to be "spiced up" a bit with the martial arts and Crossfit coming into play, wish you all the best and lots of fun there...
xxx
PS Could we strap a hidden camera on to you so you can get some action shots at Crossfit?...just thinking of Frankie, you know...LOL

KRISTIN said...

AND... October gives you the chance to watch me compete :)

Glad to see you are planning ahead Kerry! Good on you! I'm sure you will continue to succeed, you are an inspiration!

Nicole said...

Kerry. The prep you are doing leaves me with little doubt you will reach all your goals. Congratulations on what you have achieved so far...

Magda said...

ks for the cartoon Kerry. It should read " ....it makes you ANGRY!!".

:-) Magda

Kerry W said...

Em...things have been coming together for awhile. I've been very fortunate, and am riding this wave while I can. Being super organised is an essential ingredient for success on this program.

Sandra...Yeah...I'm looking forward to 'spicing it up'. An element of the unknown is good to keep up the motivation. I'm sure I'll get some close-up hot file material once I start at xfit. ;)

Kristin...when is your comp in October. I have a horrible feeling that my army training weekends seem to correspond with comp dates which seem to always be on the 20-something of the month.:(

Nicole...it's all about the prep (plus focus and desire)! Thanks.

Magda...I think it depends on what mood you're in and TTOM...lol...
:-)

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo