Wednesday, January 20

Black Fungus anyone?









Okay...just to get this out of the way...my weekly weigh-in - 60.7kg, which is an increase of 100g. So at this point, change of diet is obviously not going to cut it anymore to get back to my happy weight, now that I've been back on my normal nutrition.

It's time to start upping my cardio. Actually, making a start would be great...lol... I haven't done any more jogs since my hip seized up a couple of weeks ago. I did do some short runs (200m) as part of my Crossfit training last week and my hip was fine. So this week I'll start integrating jogging back into the program, beginning with my jog/walk combos of course, and see how my hip handles it. All I know, is that I'm not getting enough steady state cardio. But, I've been gradually increasing my exercise, and cardio (especially running) is one that I've been a bit apprehensive about because of my hips and weakened glutes. I feel confident though this week, but I need to pull my finger out. I also need to get some consistency again with my rehab/isolation exercises.

Anyway...Black Fungus, otherwise known as 'Wood Ear', is something I've been eating a little of the past week. I try to eat alot of vegetables, and am looking to increase my vegetable intake, and wondered why I hadn't thought of chinese vegetables. My mother, being part chinese, practically raised us on chinese cuisine and I always took for granted the richness and variety of chinese food. I've been getting a bit bored with steamed veges, so I'm starting to incorporate more chinese veges. There is soooo much variety and they are so delicious. You just have to know which ones go with what, but if you can get hold of chinese recipes, that can help you choose. Some are more suitable for soups, and others for stir-fry, and some you can use in both.

My favourite and easily accessible ones from your local supermarket are wombok, pak choy, buk choy and dried mushrooms (shitaki mushrooms). Otherwise, if you have an asian grocery store close by, they'll have more variety and they're usually more fresh and better priced.

Both wombok and pak choy are great in stir-fry and soups.

Lately, I've had a hankering for seafood and recognising that I need some variety on the protein front, I thought I'd make some seafood soup, chinese style. You can't go past it for taste, texture, and it's very filling.

You'll see the last photo is what I've been having for dinner lately. So here's the recipe. There's no name really, because I usually just throw everything together and put in what I want. Asian grocery stores also have 'soup mixes' which are made up of dried chinese nuts/vegetables which double as herbs and are very good for your health. Just make sure you read the packet carefully and research the herbs/combinations. They usually have a variety which cover sweet, bitter, savoury,etc, so you need to follow the directions, as some herbs/veges require soaking, etc.

Okay...the recipe...

Ingredients:
  • seafood marinara mix (fresh or frozen)
  • wombuk
  • pak choy
  • garlic (fresh)
  • black fungus or dried mushroom
  • vegetable stock
  • tamari (or soy sauce)
  • salt to taste
  • shirataki noodles (or your choice of noodle)
  • water

Now before you begin, you need to soak your black fungus or dried mushrooms if using (you have to soak the fungus in warm water for 2hrs beforehand).

If you are using fresh marinara mix, you need to lightly fry it in olive oil and garlic, before adding water. If you are using frozen marinara mix, boil the water first and throw in your garlic and marinara mix and bring to boil and then turn down heat. Add your vegetable stock (I use powder), salt and tamari.

Chop your fresh veges, throw in and turn up heat slightly. Add your black fungus or mushrooms (chopped or cut into pieces) and let simmer. While simmering, drain the shirataki noodles, wash and cut into shorter pieces. Add it into the soup mix, simmer for a little while longer, and wala! It's finished!

Just make sure that you let it cool down before eating. It's always tastes better with chopsticks by the way and allows you to taste and savour your food. Make sure you drink all the soup, because there's alot of goodness in it!

Notes:

  • you can substitute the seafood mix for any choice of protein, e.g. chicken, pork, beef
  • I only make up enough for myself for one meal. Just play with the quantities for what you want.
  • Black fungus when soaked, expands, so be careful you don't soak too much of it.
  • Black fungus has a rubbery sought of texture, and doesn't have a strong taste, but I love it!
  • Shirataki noodles (2nd photo) or 'miracle noodles', can only be found in asian grocery stores in the Japanese section. There are hardly any calories or carbs in these. I got onto them from Pauline Nordin's fighter diet recipes. I use them as a filler, as I like to keep my carb intake low.

Okay, time to go. Sorry I havent been reading blogs or facebook much, but there seems to be so much I need to get organised lately, and stuff I have to get done! I'll catch up eventually. Take care and have a great week!


2 comments:

Fifi said...

yeah don't worry I think a lot of us have been busy and pre-occupied with 'real life' lately. xx

Raechelle said...

Im cooking up some asian stir fry this very moment! it's such a great way to get a variety of veggies in!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo