Sunday, January 3

A Day of Spontaneity













Today we did something spontaneous. We went for a short bushwalk at Mt Tamborine. I was thinking about it doing something yesterday as a family. And I wanted to take Philomena on her first bushwalk and introduce her to rainforests.

As she gets older, I'd like her to experience more things outdoor. It not only gets her out of the house and more active, but I think it's important for her to appreciate nature, with all its' beauty and wonders.

It was only a short walk, about an hour return (with a small child whom are known for their dawdling abilities) or so out to Cameron Falls. She really loved it, and the fact that she could just keep going and going and there so was so much to absorb her senses was lovely to see. All the new smells, sounds and sights really captured her imagination. It's good to stop every now and again and just listen. So often when you walk, you're so busy walking and talking, you never get a real feel for nature...it's important just to be still. Of course, with a child, you can only stay still for a short period, but it's long enough to get your point across.

Philomena just loved the 'mud'. I knew it was going to be a bit muddy on the walk, so I made sure she wore her trusty gumboots. She wanted to stay a bit longer to splash in the water, but we didn't have much time today. It was more of an introduction, and anyway, there was a bit of rumbling going on, and a storm was approaching, so we couldn't dawdle for too much longer. We made it back in time to eat our lunch in the car, as it had started to rain, and then head of home, driving through heavy rain. We were supposed to have a lovely picnic lunch and play some cricket and soccer, but that wasn't to be. Oh well...the walk was lovely and Anthony got to relax a little with a coffee (he didn't join us on our walk).

So I've decided our next stint we'll take Philomena to Cedar Creek Falls. I haven't been there for years and it's the best place for kids. Lots of beautiful rock pools and a waterfall where we can swim and slide down the rocks. I'm sure Philomena will love it just as much as I do!

Anyway...I'm glad we did something spontaneous. We don't do enough of that really. When you have little kids, it's a little harder to do because you have to be so organised. But also, you get a little lazy too...I know I do anyway.

Well that's about it. Tomorrow marks the first day of training, as I start to get into my schedule for 2010. I'll be starting off slowly for January and building up to 3 Crossfit sessions per week. Depending on what type of session we do, it can take me days to recover. Also, after my first bit of running proper (jogging actually) last week since Kapooka, my RHS hip was all stiff and sore, which means the muscles have weakened quite considerably around the hip joint. I was rather annoyed and feeling decrepit all of a sudden. So I will have to halve the amount of time I'm jogging in ratio to walking this week. It might be better for me to decrease the time and increase the frequency at first and gradually build up to a time, and then increase the intensity once I can build up the time without any repercussions.

I hope everyone has started on the right foot for 2010! Have a great week all, and as LizN has said in one of her recent posts...JUST DO IT! I'm sought of leaning toward that this year as part of mixing things up a little and just keeping things moving.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your family stuff - i agree if only I was brought up to be more active and knew what to do i wouldn't have gotten overweight. Oh well then I probably wouldn't be the me I am now :D
Miss Phil is getting so big now she is certainly growing up fast. I really do think it is important to remember to 'do' stuff together as a family.
I am very impressed with your goals and keen to read about them over the next year. xoxo

Nicole said...

Sounds like a lovely day Kerry. I love Mt Tamborine. And you've inspired me to take my kids to one of the many beautiful rainforest walks we have here on the Sunny Coast as well. You are right, it can be a hassle sometimes to organise everyone, but its sure worth it once you are there.

Good luck with your first week back at training. I'm looking forward to following your results over the next 12 weeks !
xx Nic

Kerry W said...

Thanks Em. Yes, I'm impressed with my goals on paper. Now let's see if we can convert that to action and results!

You have so many lovely walks around there Nicole. My most favourite place is Obe Obe Gorge. I remember going down that gorge on one of those old inflatable pool mattresses. We didn't use a walking track. There'd been alot of rain and when we got to the gorge we had some wild rides (I still have the scar when I gashed my leg) and my most memorable moment was floating down this ravine with rocky cliffs on both sides. It was so quiet and tranquil...just beautiful! We did about 30km's that day and got back just as the sun went down.

I also love Kondalilla Falls - that's a beautiful spot too! I think we're going to have to do a bushwalk, next time I'm up that way. :)

Fifi said...

ooooh lovely. Reminds me of the walk up Emma Gorge in the north of WA (although more tropical). I wish I'd done more with my two.

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo