Tuesday, January 5

Week 1 Weigh-in






My RHS hip has been sore since last Thursday, when I went for my first official jog/walk combo. Obviously the total amount of jog time was too much (22mins), because it's still very sore, and after martial arts training last night, where we did some low level kicking, my hip was more stiff and sore afterward. It's settled down this morning, which I'm guessing means I've stirred up the Bursitis. I haven't had any bursitis symptoms since I started my Ideal Bodies Online program back in July 2008.

So I was rather frustrated last night, since this is my first week back on scheduled training. Going to Kapooka has been more detrimental to my fitness than I thought it would. It's taking me a lot longer to recover from injuries sustained during my basic training.

I tried to push those feelings of frustration aside, and think logically. I've been down this road before, and it's not as if I'm starting from the same place I did back in 2008. I'm much further ahead. At least I know what I need to do. I just have to be patient and do what I need to, to keep progressing. So probably no jogging this week. I really need to do more scheduled cardio, so I will have to get back into the pool this week. I'll be ringing my physio shortly to discuss what's happening. I'm pretty sure he will agree with me on what I should be doing. As he always tells me..."Kerry, you know what you need to do - just listen to what your body tells you".

The frustration lies in what I've set myself as far as goals. I know I've got a whole year, but I also know that it's something you don't keep procrastinating about. I've had 2-3 months of procrastination and that's enough now. I'm paying the price. Yes, I needed a well-deserved rest after Kapooka, but I really dragged that excuse out.

Anyway, I'm still feeling optimistic, just not ecstatic. Having the extra bit of weight on, and not feeling myself has dulled my enthusiasm a little as well. My nutrition has been very good. Still not 100%, but pretty much on par. I'll be streamlining that more as the weeks go on, and I become more disciplined overall. Getting back to some regular and consistent exercise will make a big difference to my enthusiasm, as well as getting back to my happy weight of 58kg.

I know I just have to keep plodding along and keep putting in the action. I may be feeling like a turtle today, but I'm not racing anyone else but myself. I don't have to be better or stronger than anybody else, I just have be better and stronger than where I am today.

***Just spoke to my physio who said to persist with the jogging, but change the ratio to 1:2 jog/walk and cap it at 30mins. He doesn't seem to think it's bursitis, but there's obviously some inflammation happening. Phew!

4 comments:

LizN said...

argh Kerry, I'm sorry - that sucks big hairy dog's balls doesn't. Hang tough, hopefully it will settle down for you soon, nice job on your weight drop!

Fifi said...

Oh bugger bugger bugger but SO glad it's not the bursitis ('cos you know my feelings on that as well!). Everyone said mine wasn't bursitis (except the chiro) as the bursar wasn't inflamed but the cortisone shot into the area helped (not suggesting you have a shot though) so there must have been something going on.

Are you taking any fish oil? My chiro had me taking up to 10 per day (quite safe) and it really took the inflammation down. I need to start taking it again as still inflamed after MY attempt at running.

Hope it settles down. I know it's frustrating but you gotta be a good girl and listen to your physio! x

Robyn said...

Anyway, running's just one of your goals, Kerry. You've still got all those other ones to keep aiming for while the foot thing heals (I don't know anything about bursitis...).

Let's put things in perspective. This is TYOTSB and we're five days in and you're only a few weeks off achieving one of your goals (i.e. 58kg). Things are looking pretty damn hot, in my opinion. :)

OH... and as Frankie said... listen to your physio/chiro/etc. I'm also into second opinions if there's any doubt re diagnosis.

Kerry W said...

Thanks girls...it's not as bad as I originally thought.

You're right Robyn...it's only one part of the bigger picture (running). I'm just annoyed because running is a big part of army fitness, and I haven't been able to complete a fitness assessment since before Kapooka. But I can only do what I can do. I've been through enough of the rehab/injury stuff to know what's best. And yes...we're only into week 1 of TYOTSB!

Even today it felt much better...not as sore as last night, so I just have to do my exercises/stretches religiously, which I haven't been doing.

Frankie...I'm taking fish oil tablets, but to be honest, they're probably not the best quality. I've read your posts on the results you're having with the fish oil in regard to inflammation. When I finish this course, I will look at a better quality fish oil. I think I might get straight fish oil, as opposed to tablets. Meanwhile though, I'll try increasing my fish oil intake. Once I get my weight down, and increase my exercise intensity I may also look at having fish in oil. I have a sneaky suspicion that extra (good) fats are positively affecting my energy levels also.

Anyway...thanks all.

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo