Wednesday, February 25

Striking a Balance


I've just finished catching up on some blogs. I really enjoyed LizN's recent post about the 'important vs not-so-important', and it struck a chord with me. As you may have read (or not), I've been doing alot of thinking lately. Sometimes, I have to admit, I think a bit too much when I should be 'doing' - I'm a prolific daydreamer. But...that is something that's important for me to do. I have become better in my 'older years' at making sure that I give myself time to think and ponder, but ensure I also make time to take off my thinking cap, and put on my running shoes.

This week I've made progress. I'm utilising my diary a lot more and sticking to the tasks I set in my diary. It is so easy to get sidetracked on the internet and in blogland, so I've been making a concerted effort to be a bit more selective and limit my time, so I can get other important things done. It's also down as one of my 2009 goals - to create a more balanced approach in all areas of my life.

One thing I do find difficult to keep a balanced approach with, is my training. I hate missing any training days, and feel like I may be sliding if I do. Last week I missed one session and initiallly felt like I was piking out, but in all honesty, to go ahead with the session meant that I would not have listened to my body - and I like to stay tuned to the messages my body is sending me. I've regretted it in the past by ignoring these messages. I didn't pike completely, and felt the better for doing 'something' that I felt was achievable, without compromising my health or my program overall.

This week is proving a challenge for me. Again, I'll be missing a (cardio) session, but there's not alot I can do about that. Had to listen to my body again and rest on Monday when I wasn't feeling well, and is it turned out, I had a great workout last night and was able to push myself a little more and improve on my previous week's workout. So I see that as a good start to my training week. As part of the 'balanced way of life', I re-arranged my days around to fit in what I could, and feel much better now about how it's panning out. The thing is...I've done everything I can about what I can control, so it's no use worrying about what I can't. As long as I've put in my 110% during my training workouts and followed my nutrition plan, then I'm happy.

So home life has been much happier and I feel grounded again. The house is clean, the washing is done, Philomena's been getting more 'outside play' time (which means more physical activity for me) and more variety. There's been more variety in the meals department, so hubby has been happier, and my daily tasks are being crossed out. Still a bit to get crossed out this week, but so-far-so-good!

Now I'm off to prepare lunch for myself and Miss Phil! Hope you are all having a 'balanced week' yourselves. Would love to know how you all keep that balance in your life (Raechelle, I haven't done any meditation for some time, so that is something I really need to make time for).

Ciao for now...Kerry :)

7 comments:

Rachael P said...

Kerry, I am in the same boat with the time spent on the PC when other things could be getting done. Was one thing I did learn but havent taken on is that you need to set a time frame for these things. Block a good hour to spend replying and surfing so that you can set a routine around it. I am not saying I do this, and geez I really should practise what I preach, I am super bad for not doing it. But it is suppose to create an even balance when you know what times you allocate to the PC and stick to it. Hhhmm will let you know how I go when I get down to it.

Good to see your a daydreamer too, life wouldnt be the same if we didnt daydream but on the same foot too much isnt good. Huh again, I am lacking that "good" structure.

Your doing really well and life does make you think more about everything when you hit a "milestone age" so to speak. I am sure lots of your followers would probably agree. Your a superwomen Kerry and one we are growing to look up to and admire.

Rach

Fifi said...

Well we all know MY pc addiction so...

Ok. Kerry when you want a word to be a link say for Liz's site do this.

1. Type LizN
2. highlight LizN
3. click "link" button (Green button top left)
4 paste in liz's link

DONE. You would have had to already copied the link obviously via another window.

Then you can change the colour of the link, and/or make it bold so it stands out as a link.

Fifi said...

PS the Blog help says to do it via HTML but this way is quicker and easier, you just do it in normal 'compose' mode.

Kerry W said...

Thanks Rachael

Yeah...I've put down a goal to spend so much time on the PC per day, however, I haven't been following the limit I set. Things have been all over the place and unpredictable, so I need to build in 'the unexpected' into my schedule, to allow for these times. Which BTW, seem to be happening alot lately.

Yeah Frankie...we know about your pc addiction. Think I have a bit of that myself...lol...and thanks for the tips on the link. Will try it later when I have time.

Ciao...Kerry :)

LizN said...

Hi Kerry,
I'm glad you find my ramblings interesting. I'm a bit of a "thinker" and glad I can share how to work out this crazy old thing called life with other like minded people :)

Cheers
Liz N

Raechelle said...

Hence my MONDAY's off! Definitely get too caught up in the nothingness OY!

As far as missing a training session-after working out pretty consistently for 20 years-I don't mind missing a sesh here and there-and can't avoid it in a small town with wacky hours of the gym and occasional flooding. Just need to go with the flow-BALANCE in action! It sucked when I was getting ready for the comp last year-but I survived! and the bod needs breaks every now and then any way-mix it up stir it up and be flexible!
And I can't imagine a day without some daydreaming (sort of anti-buddhist I suppose-but I am only human!);-)

Kerry W said...

Yeah Liz...enjoy your ramblings. There's always a good mix...thoughts, feelings, interesting stuff about our bodies, and everything else in-between. :)

Raechelle...I practiced Buddhism for 2 yrs, and if I wasn't Catholic (my husband is), I'd still be practicing. I found it so enlightening and great for my sense of peace and tranquility. And I loved doing the meditation classes. I know that I should be doing more meditation. I've been told I have the potential for great thinking/capacity, and could be a monk or nun if I applied myself. I have other plans though, but I think when I'm older I would love to do more meditation and try 'retreats' and could quite easily become a hermit hiding in the mountains. :)

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo