Thursday, January 22

No Ordinary Moments


I just realised on reviewing this post, that the first photograph reminds me of Japan. I remember staying at a traditional Ryokan (Japanese style inn), not far from a lake very similar to the one pictured above. It was so long ago now, I can't remember where it was, but I do remember how breathtakingly beautiful this place was. There was lots of mist and fog, even during the day, and I remember the running water and burbling brooks running beside the inn and meandering around the hills and little thatched homes. I also remember how green it was, and the beautiful blue and pink hydrangeas perched beside the little homes. It was so tranquil.

The second picture is of the front cover of Dan Millman's book, 'No Ordinary Moments - A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life', which is where I got the new name for my blog. I have this book in my collection, and it's been many years since I've read it. I have a couple Dan's other books too. 'No Ordinary Moments' is "based on the premise that by changing ourselves we can change our world" and "presents simple yet powerful ways to balance the body, liberate the mind, accept our emotions, and open our hearts." His first book, which is fictional, but interwines his real life name and roles, 'Way of the Peaceful Warrior', was the starting point, and to quote...

"Way of the Peaceful Warrior is based on a story of Dan Millman, a world champion athlete who journeys into realms of flesh and spirit, romance and terror, light and darkness, laughter and magic. Guided by a powerful old warrior named Socrates, tempted by an elusive, playful woman named Joy, Dan is led toward a final confrontation which will deliver or destroy him. Join Dan as he learns what it means to die - and live -like a warrior."

The book sounds a little 'out there', but in fact it's not as airy-fairy as it may sound. His sequel, 'Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior' takes place... "four years after training with the old warrior he calls Socrates - in spite of all he has learned - Dan Millman confronts personal failure and growing frustrations. Disullusioned with this life, unable to bridge the gap between knowing and doing, Dan sets out on a worldwide quest to rediscover his sense of purpose and source of inspiration."

Does that last bit sound familiar? Well it does to me, and what I like about 'Sacred Journey...', is that it seems relevant to a period in my life, where I've just emerged from. That gap between knowing and doing has been hanging over my head for some time. Trying to lose weight...trying to find my way back to a place where I felt confident again...striving for something materially - outside of myself, when all the time I should have been looking inward, not just metaphorically, but literally.

Where are you on your journey? How close are you to re-discovering your sense of purpose and source of inspiration - have you found it yet? Only you know, if you've bridged that gap between knowing and doing.

I can tell you from recently emerging from that gap, that it's quite a profound period and once you bridge it, those feelings which you haven't experienced for some time, once again start to permeate your whole being. Feelings of euphoria, blissfulness, pride, excitement and nervousness about the possibilities, happiness, clarity...power in the sense of self-control and restraint. You seem almost bullet-proof!

However, I need to remind myself to temper those feelings. It seems that the Yang of my youth, has finally emerged after many years of hibernation, but I must remember the Ying of my experience, to ensure peacefulness and tranquility... to temper the fire within and periodically restore harmony to my life.

Ciao for now...Kerry :)

1 comments:

Raechelle said...

Nice post..You've certainly learned much on your journey girl-and obviously continue to do so! That is what is inspiring!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo