Monday, January 26

History, Circus School & Unarmed Combat







Life just gets better doesn't it! It really is an exciting world out there, and what I love about it, is there are soooo many things that we can do and there is just no end to the things we can learn and master, if we but put our minds to it. Life is a never-ending journey of experiences and we can either choose to do nothing and remain where we are, or choose to embrace it, to its' fullest.


So what does history, circus school and unarmed combat have to do with anything?

It's just what I've been reading about over the weekend. I've been at the library and surfing the net for information, and have had my head buried in books on this memorable 'Australia Day' weekend. Which leads me to the 'history' part...

It's quite fitting actually, and I've posted a photo of an Australian Clipper ship (built in the modern era). I've been reading about Australian history - mainly Australian Military History. I've never really been a history buff to be quite honest, but I've found as I've gotten older, that world events, politics and where we have come from have really started to interest me. Mainly because I think that I have come to realise how our own lives are inextricably linked to history, not just our own (Australian), but world history. And who we are today, is a result of those who have gone before us. So reading about Australian history prior to our Federation in 1901 and beyond, and how the military (firstly British and then Australian) have played a huge part in the formation of our states and cities today, is quite fascinating and humbling, to say the least. How fortunate we truly are.

Though, it is sad to read about the colonisation through the deaths of aboriginal people, at the hands of both the military and civilians/settlers. However, when I think about the history of world over, I have come to the conclusion that warfare and those races and nations who are stronger, smarter and more well equipped to handle change were often the victors. It is a sad, but true indictment of our humanity.

On a more cheerful note, let's discuss Circus School. I was actually looking into gymnastics and gymnastic schools, because part of my fitness preparation for the Army Reserves is to increase my upper body strength (Kristin will still be writing my training programs, but I'm just looking at other methods apart from standard weights/resistance and cardio). Alot of the skills and requirements to get through basic training and to carry out your normal duties, involve alot of upper body and core strength, as well as activities requiring balance and agility. Alot of the energy required is of both aerobic and anaerobic nature, testing your skills of endurance.

So anyway...I've been thinking of doing some gymnastics training, but didn't know how I could access specific equipment like ropes, beams and bars, and also to be able to have someone who knew how to teach correct form and technique. The only problem is - most gymnastics classes have set routines, and I wanted something where I could learn some basics, and then be able to draw on their expertise to devise my own program to get me to where I needed to be within a particular time-frame (as far as strength is concerned).

I have a friend who is a P.E. teacher and has done gymnastics himself, so I thought I'd ask him for suggestions. And he came up with circus school. I would never have thought of that in a million years! Anyway...have checked out a circus school here in Brisbane, and I've found a program for beginners. It's actually a 'conditioning' program and consists of a 1 hour full body workout where you can build your muscles through conditioning. The conditioning program consists of 8 lessons, so I thought that would be a great addition to my IBO program. I can't wait to enrol and try it out! I think gymnasts are some of the strongest athletes out there, and what I love about this type of training is the flexibility required, as I'm also hoping to improve my flexibility, of which I've lost a little over the last few years or so. I think down the track I'd like to take it a bit further and learn other skills like flips and somersaults. Now that would be cool!

Which leads me to..er..not really...Unarmed Combat.

What I'm really excited about, is that in the army I get to learn more skills to enhance my martial arts skills. I've only trained with martial arts' weapons, like the bo, staff, nanchakus, fighting sticks, but never with a gun or a knife, though I've had training on how to handle a knife (which is scary stuff).

However, knives and guns are things I'm not really confident in handling, especially in a 'real world' situation, and that's something I've always wanted to learn (part of being a good martial artist is learning how to avoid putting yourself in dangerous places and situations, which I'm quite skilled at). I know...it's armed, but you still have to learn how to deal with someone who has a weapon when you don't!

The other thing I've done a little bit of is grappling/wrestling in my earlier martial arts days, and I hope to do more of that. Most combat/real life fighting will take place within a small radius, and close-in, and that's what I really want to focus on. Don't get me wrong, I love the artistic nature, health benefits, and athleticism of kung-fu...it's just that unarmed combat will round out my skills and give me all-round confidence. And returning to Wing Chun training will definitely help in this area. It's a superb fighting system, utilised in close-quarters, devised by a female, whose ingenuity lies in the ability to re-direct force and energy of your opponent, and use that to off-balance him/her. It also relies on sensitivity (of the limbs) to 'feel' your opponents movements, and correct foot and stance placement to maintain stability while delivering correct and powerful technique.

It's all so fascinating (I think so anyway), and the best thing is...there is no end to the learning! Okay...off now to do some more reading.

Ciao for now...Kerry :)























6 comments:

Fifi said...

Great stuff Kerry! You're going to get some great cross-training benefits with that circus school!

And, of course enhancing and expanding your martial arts via the Army reserves...everything seems to just be 'melding' into place!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, you are UNSTOPPABLE! You've been doing some good thinking and planning recently and it's so thrilling :)

YAY for circus school - although I do have images of Homer going to clown school and ending up riding the little bike nekkid! I obviously watch too much tv

xo

Kerry W said...

He..he..he..Jude..I've said this before, but I'll say it again...you crack me up! :)

Just the picture that popped into my head of homer simpson riding a bike 'nekkid'! And you wouldn't believe it, but my previous blog name, 'Crusty', actually came from 'Crusty the Clown', because I have very curly, fuzzy hair and when I wear it out...a-la-naturale...I wake up with my hair looking like Crusty the Clowns!

Yeah Frankie...I am gravitating more and more towards the idea of cross-training. I think that is the way to go to achieve peak physical fitness.

Anonymous said...

If "down under" military basic is anything like the USArmy..concentrate on running, push-ups, pull-ups and rucking (we had to do 25 miles w/75 lbs to graduate) for a physical "leg-up". If you can toughen up your feet a little (blisters) it can be an advantage. And be ready to run on little sleep. Id give you a bit of firearms advice, but the best advice is to listen to what your instructors tell you. Often people with little to no firearms experience do better than those who have it..no bad habits to unlearn.

Kerry W said...

Thanks Tom

Have contacted you via your blog. Helpful stuff! :)

P.S. Thanks for answering my questions, re: prevention of blisters & women in direct combat in US.

Raechelle said...

That circus training sounds like a really awesome way to get fit! Those folks are pretty much always
very strong and lean-super idea! Who knows-you may like it so much you just might run away with the circus!

 

NO ORDINARY MOMENTS Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo